Saturday, March 9, 2013

Wish List: Books for Classroom Library

Help turn a teenager into a lifelong reader!

Many of you may know that I have started a choice reading component in my classroom that has led to me building a classroom library.  While I still send students to the school library, having the books within reach saves instructional time and allows me to help match books and students during small transitional moments in the classroom. 

My colleagues and I are trying to build a community of readers within our classrooms.  With kindness of family, friends, and benefactors, I have been building a classroom library with materials for high school students of all reading abilities.  Watching most of my students become engaged readers has been encouraging and uplifting, but all this magic requires BOOKS and LOTS of them.  Please consider donating to our book drive.  I am in need of new or used books that would appeal to teen readers; however, I will be happy to accept books that can be sold or traded to get the books that we need. 

most of my students will have read between 6 and 10 novels this semester.  At least two will surpass the 20 novels read mark.  That's no small feat for a high school student.

The books listed below are all book that my students have specifically asked for:

Books by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
The River by Gary Paulsen
Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen
Brian's Return by Gary Paulsen
Brian's Hunt by Gary Paulsen

Books by Katie Alender
Bad Girls Don't Die (I have one copy, with a waiting list)
Bad Girls Don't Die: As Dead as It Gets (many requests!)
Bad Girls Don't Die: From Bad to Cursed


Books by Carl Deuker

Heart of a Champion
High Heat
Night Hoops
Painting the Black
Payback Time
Gym Candy 
Runner     

Books by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Called Dave
The Privilege of Youth
Help Yourself for Teens

Various Sports Books

Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger

Though my Eyes, by Tim Tebow

Books by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven
The Best of Me
The Lucky One
Dear John
Nights in Rondanthe
A Walk to Remember
Message in a Bottle

Books by Tess Gerritsen
(the Isle/Rizzoli Series)
The Apprentice
The Surgeon
Vanish
The Sinner
Silent Girl
The Mephisto Club
The Keepsake
Ice Cold
The Silent Girl
Last to Die
Body Double

Books by Anne Rice
Interview with a Vampire

Books by Sarah Dessen

Books by Heather Brewer
The Vladimir Tod Chronicles
Eight Grade Bites
Ninth Grade Slays
Tenth Grade Bleeds
Eleventh Grade Burns
Twelfth Grade Kills

The Slayer Chronicles
First Kill 

Books by Robert Rigby
Goal II: Living the Dream
Goal: Glory Days





 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment